Sunday

Blessing of the Fishing Scarves




The view from our window.
(about two months ago)

     See the lake in the background?  It's where all the guys in our crew go ice fishing.  Now that deer hunting is over here in Wisconsin, all the guys thoughts are turned toward the lake freezing over.




The lake is trying hard....
        The dark blue part has no ice yet.  It's usually after the holidays before the ice is thick enough to walk on.

......and on to the story.

     I was knitting away on a scarf for myself (yes...I learned) one Sunday evening after the family supper.  This is how the conversation went....

6 yr. old grandson Ryan, "Grandma what are you making?"
                                        "A scarf."
                                        "For me?"
                                        "No this one is for me, would you like a scarf."
                                        "Yup!"
                                        "What colors would you like?"
                                        "Red and blue."
                                        "OK I'll get right on it."
      And that started an intense 3 weeks of making scarves for 10 grandchildren.  There was no way I could make one for Ryan and not the others.  I used up all the odds and ends yarn that I had made.
     Not being particularly experienced in knitting yet, I told the parents that these would be fishing scarves.  No one would look at what there were wearing on the lake :-).  In keeping with the theme, I put actual fishing lures (hooks removed) on the tassels of the scarves of the boys....they were so excited.  The girls scarves have fish beads on them. Yes....all the bigger kids go ice fishing.  They have a grand time fishing and playing with their cousins.
     So, tonight we had the "Blessing Of The Fishing Scarves", and the scarves were handed out to take home.



 Blessing Of The Fishing Scarves

As the Grandmother of these children I
bless these scarves in the Name of the Father, and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus watch over these children
as they play and fish on the lake.  May a spirit of happiness
overtake them whenever they wear these scarves.
May they catch lots of big fish!
....And someday Lord, may they become fishers of men, just like St. Peter.
                         
                                     Amen





....well you try to get them all to smile
and look at the camera at the same time. :-)
They all really liked the scarves....even those
without a smile on the pic. :-)







Gracie







Tato

Linked To: Homestead Barn Hop #90

.....dr momi

10 comments:

Unknown said...

How wonderful! That was alot of knitting to do. Your a pro now! I liked your idea of beads and lures. Very creative.

Dog Trot Farm said...

Oh my, just look at those beautiful sweet little faces, you are so blessed!!! Ice fishing is so much fun, a wonderful outdoor family activity. I'm hoping to knit my first pair of baby mittens for Travis, wish me luck!!! Greetings from Maine, Julie.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

The scarves are beautiful and what a sweet blessing and thing to do for your precious Grandchildren! I have no doubt they will make and have great fun and memories as they wear them!

TexWisGirl said...

God bless every one of them and keep them safe! and their grandma, too. :)

Granny Annie said...

This is the most wonderful and exciting idea. Beautiful scarves for beautiful children.

dr momi said...

Nancy....Pro at knitting? Not quite yet. But I did learn a lot doing that many in a row :-) The kids were "in heaven" with the fishing lures on the scarves, but, they were a little pricey. Course anything for my grandchildren :-)

Julie....Ice fishing IS a great outdoor activity. Last year the 4 yr. old boys tried shoveling the whole lake :-) Hey, good luck on the mittens! I'm no where close to trying that yet :-)

Kim....We made a big deal of the blessing, I don't think they will forget it. I know they will have a great time when they are wearing them :-)

Tex....well, thank-you!

Granny Annie....it was an idea that evolved slowly, but I would encourage anyone to follow suit. The kids so enjoyed the whole thing!

Dicky Bird said...

Oh how nice! Love the prayer blessing too!

Carolyn said...

I LOVE the fishing scarves!

Candy C. said...

What a sweet thing you did! I'm sure they will treasure them for many years to come! They all look so cute sitting there with their scarves!! :)

Michaele said...

Wonderful!! That photo of them all is priceless and you are SO blessed to have so many loves.