Friday

Wild Rice Meat Pie

     A couple years back my daughter and I went to a "green" fair at The Menominee College in Keshena, WI about 9 miles north of us.  It is on the Menominee Indian Reservation.  For a nominal fee, lunch was served.  "Meat Pie" and "Corn Soup" was served up and cooked from scratch by some fantastic Native American cooks!!

    We were raving about one of the meat pies that was extra special, and didn't that cook sit down with us and tell us just how she made it!  At home, "from my head", I tried to duplicate it.  A few practices later it has become one of my husbands favorite meals. (Although we don't have it often :-)

Making The Wild Rice

4 cups of water
2 cups of wild rice
1/4 tsp. salt

Put it all in a 4 qt. pot.  Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for 50 minutes.
Make sure it is a pot with a tight fitting lid, not one with "steam vents".
After you know it's simmering, absolutely no peeking!

This makes enough for two "pies".  I put 1/2 in the freezer till I make another.















Making The Pie Crust (2 crusts)

Mix together 2 cups of flour, 3/4 cup of lard, & 1/2 tsp. salt
with the pastry blender until "pea size".













Add 1 beaten egg, and 3 TBL. cold water.
Mix just until it all holds together.  Use a smidge more water if you need to. 
Divide into 2 balls (shown is 1 crust)



















Roll out the bottom crust.
Don't even worry about making it "perfect" size.
Put it into a 9 x 11 pan.
(Grandson Logan was supervising)
 






















Making The Meat Filling.

Brown 1 lb. of hamburger or venison.

















When hamburger is browned, add 3 cups of water with 
 2 heaping TBL. corn starch mixed in till smooth.
Add 2 heaping spoonfuls of "Better Than Beef" flavoring.
("Better Than Beef" is in the bouillon section of the store.  It's a paste in a jar.)
Add the rice. (1/2 of the recipe)
Now let it all simmer until a gravy is made. (It doesn't take too long.)
Pour it all over the bottom crust.


Add the top crust and prick.
Again, the president isn't coming to supper.
Don't stress over making it pretty.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until crust is brown.


Wild Rice Meat Pie --- Yum!
  Caution!! Wild Rice has lots of fiber!
You're going to want to eat more than maybe you should :-)
 



9 comments:

laughwithusblog said...

Oh this looks delicious, and it's something different! I got hooked on native american tacos made with Indian fry bread! Yum!

dr momi said...

I guarantee the kids AND your husband will love it Esther!......Indian fry bread...Double Yum!

Mama Pea said...

Okay, I'm not familiar with "Better Than Beef." Is it like a seasoning? A dry mix I can purchase? What section of a grocery store would I find it in? Heeellllpp!

dr momi said...

So sorry Mama Pea :-).... Better Than Beef is a soup flavoring in the bouillon section. It is actually a paste. Comes in a jar. Still has some ingredients in it I don't like, (hence the reason we don't have it too often) but it sure makes things taste good! I hope you can find it!

Mama Pea said...

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out next time I'm in a regular grocery store.

SparingChange said...

This looks so good! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Thats so awesome you guys like our traditional food! Im amazed I could even google this recipe because my grandma is the only one who knows it and she's unavailable to me. Thanks!!! p.s. if you liked this definatly try out our hullcorn soup recipe! :D

1st Man said...

Just found this recipe, and I know it's an older post but wow, does that ever look GREAT! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

dr momi said...

You will enjoy it 1st Man!