Tuesday

Puppyless

     Is puppyless a word?   Puppyless: adj. not in possession of a puppy.  There....I just made it a word.

    There has been a puppy in our house for pretty much 7 1/2 years now.  That's how long I have been raising Leader Dogs For The Blind.  German Shepherd Butsch was # 8 puppy.

     Butsch is back at the Leader Dogs For The Blind school in Rochester Michigan, for them to evaluate him.  He had been growling at certain people.  At only 5 1/2 months old, they wanted to determine if it was fear that was the basis of it or what. 

     Usually at about 1 yr. old, the dogs go back to the school for professional training.  I'm usually ready for that.  But, I wasn't ready for this.  It was a lot harder to part at this age.  If they decide he might outgrow it and could still be a Leader Dog, I will get him back to finish his socialization.  In the mean time I am puppyless.......a stange feeling in this house :-)



10 weeks







4 months






Butsch aka Butschy Boy :-)
5 1/2 months
 
.....dr momi

5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh how sad. i hope he will be okay - and if deemed out of the program, can find a great, loving home...

dr momi said...

If he doesn't make it as a Leader Dog, they may check into his being a police dog. At the very least he will be someone's good pet.

Leontien said...

he looks wonderful! i hope he will be ok too!
and yes i love the pics from puppy to now!
Thanks
Leontien

Mama Pea said...

What a wonderful thing it is that you do . . . raising them for a year. I don't know if I could do that. Letting them go after getting attached. I'm sure you have to get yourself in a certain frame of mind to do it. And I'm glad you can do it. A great service to perform.

dr momi said...

Thanks for the good wishes Leontien....


Mama Pea --- It takes me a good month to get in the right frame of mind to let them go. Of course you always know why you are doing it in the first place....they do change someone's life. This happened all so fast I didn't have time to mentally prepare,hopefully I will get to finish him out...we'll see.