Thursday

Nine of Nine

     Just because I let the Mama Hen hatch out some ducklings, didn't Miss Grey Duck go broody on nine eggs.  She sat faithfully until 8 eggs were hatched.  The last egg took another day and a half until I saw the first crack on the egg.   .....but Wed. it was 97 degrees outside.  Miss grey duck just couldn't sit any longer, and rounded up the rest of the babies to find a little shade.  She didn't go back.

     I brought the egg inside and set it under a light bulb.  By early evening I helped it out of the egg, because I knew if it didn't get back under Miss Grey Duck, it's chances weren't good.


Just out of the egg.




About 1 hour later.





He/She made it!
      I named him Nine of Nine, he was very weak, but when I put him down by his mom you should have seen him struggle to get to her.  This morning he was still alive.  His legs are weak and he seems half the size of the others, but he's going to make it.


Nine of Nine is in the back.
.....there's another duckling on the other side of Miss Grey Duck.
These ducklings are truly Heins 57 Breed.



......is this the cutest thing or what?
This one has a crest just like his Papa.
 .....dr momi






7 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, i hope the little one will be okay!

Dr. Kristy Sipple said...

I love his hair-do!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness it's The Ugly Duckling/101 Dalmatians!! Isn't it "not recommended" to help an animal hatch?
He is a cutie!!!!!

dr momi said...

I've heard that too Sam, but it was getting dark. If I left him under that light bulb all night I was afraid I was going to cook him! I think he was late coming out of the egg because he was so weak. If left to mother nature he would have died. .....so what can I say, I took a chance. :-)

Dicky Bird said...

Cute!

Mama Pea said...

Baby ducks are just about the cutest thing! I think you did the right thing by helping that last little guy. He probably wouldn't have made it out of the shell by himself. Now he's got more than a good chance to catch up with his brothers and sisters. :o}

Betty @ Little Farm in the Big City said...

Too cute! Well done an helping Nine of Nine out of his shell. He'll grow quickly and catch up soon, I'm sure!