Tuesday

4% vs 5%



Check your labels!


     Today I was starting to can dill pickles and realized I had no white vinegar.  Off to the store I went.  I remembered the discussion we had in the Master Food Preserver class about vinegar.  Did you know that 4% acidity and 5% acidity vinegar can be sold side by side on the grocery shelf?  You could have accidentally picked up the 4%.  You must can with 5% acidity vinegar.  Somewhere on the label it will tell you, but, you really have to look for it.  It's in really small print.  Go ahead and clean your windows with 4% vinegar, but please don't can with it!


.....dr momi



9 comments:

Unknown said...

I never noticed. Thank you for calling our attention to this very important detail--crucial to our canning successes!

Roxey Lucey said...

that's good to know...when you can my pickles :-)

Candy C. said...

Wow, never knew they had a 4%, thanks for the heads up!!

Rae said...

Wow. Good info to know. I could just see my guy grabbing the wrong stuff at the store (he's hoping to do pickles for the first time soon). Thanks!

Dr. Kristy Sipple said...

What happens if you use 4%?

dr momi said...

Kristy.....All tested recipes have been done with 5% acidity vinegar. If you use 4%, the acid/alkaline balance gets screwed up. It is not worth the risk. It's the same reason not to use homemade vinegar without knowing the % acidity. (If I made homemade vinegar I would be testing it before using it to can.)

Leigh said...

Thank you for this! I never even knew there was such a thing as 4% acidity vinegar. I've never seen it at the stores.... at least I don't think I have. ***Off to check all the vinegar in the house!***

dr momi said...

I never knew it either Leigh. ....and the stores make no distinction. It would be easy to just grab the 4% and never know it. I checked at my regular grocery store and everything they sold was 5%, but, I'm glad I learned to check!

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Thanks for this very important information. I had no idea.