Thursday

Trixy Made It!

Billy and Trixy (3 months old)
   Future Leader Dog Trixy is now Leader Dog Trixy!  Yesterday she was given to her new owner.  I've seen video as to how this is done.  It's quite emotional.  The visually impaired have been at Leader Dogs for the Blind School in Rochester Michigan for 3 days before they get their dog.  In that time they have practiced holding the harness and giving their pretend dog (their instructor) commands.

      On dog issue day, the blind person is in their room and the instructor brings the dog to them.  For 3 days now the dog has not had much human contact at all.  Of course they are fed and let out, but at this point they are craving for someone to pet them.  The instructor will say, "you have a 65 # yellow lab named Trixy, call her name!"  Usually the tears start to flow as the person finally has their dog.

     No more kennel life for the dog.  She will now be with her new master constantly.  She stays in the room with him/her.  There are two doors in this "hotel" room.  One door opens to the hallway of the residence hall, and the other door opens to a fenced in area so the person can "park" (potty) the dog without worrying about loosing her.

     Together Trixy and her new master will have 3 more weeks of instruction, and the bond between them will become strong.  The blind person will learn to trust Trixy.....and Trixy will get all the pets she can handle.      ......I am a very proud mama :-)


Trixy, now a working dog.


Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop

10 comments:

labbie1 said...

Hi, just popped in while reading A Farmish Kind of Life when I saw your lab pup. This is such a GREAT story! Thanks for sharing! :)

Candy C. said...

You must be a very proud mama indeed!! :)

Dicky Bird said...

Good Job, again! I have tears as I am reading..

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Add me to the list of those choked up. As a person who has two visually impaired friends, I know the difference guide dogs can and do make. Puppy raisers are among the most kind and unselfish of people.

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

Yup I teared up just reading this too...Thank you for stopping by to visit and become a follower, I am now a follower of your blog too.

Blessings Kelsie

Amy Dingmann said...

What a sweet story! And...ok, you got me. I'll raise my hand as a teary eyed reader too! Love that last picture of Trixy - she looks so proud and noble!

Rebecca said...

Looks like everyone here is blurry eyed today & I'm no exception!
What a gift you gave...if I'm understanding it correctly!

Blessings~
Rebecca

dr momi said...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I had no idea I would make you all cry :-) When I watch the video of the visually impaired getting their dogs I sob every time -- even though I've seen it about 5 times! It really helps for me to know why I am doing it (raising the puppies) -- it does change people's lives!

Lori Skoog said...

A tear jerker for sure. Sweet Trixy. I don't know how you are able to give up the dogs after bonding with them. What a life changing gift.

Mama Pea said...

Blessing to you for what you do. Yes, it would be hard to give them up after having and loving them as you do, but knowing where they are going must help you feel better. I am in amazement at what these guide dogs do. They are so special. Okay, now pass me the tissue box.