Tuesday

Pig Is Gone

       Finally!  A different person came and loaded him up on Sunday evening.  It was pouring rain all day and the whole while we loaded.  (can we say muddy pen?)  Pinky didn't want to load again, but, an experienced person doing it makes all the difference.  He used pallets to herd him into the doorway -- yelled for me in the trailer to keep his head up with the food.   When the pig only put his front feet in again, his hind quarters were lifted in by the tail.  It couldn't have hurt him, he didn't squeal at all, and only wanted his food.  He was in and loaded.  I was thankful he didn't have to spend another rainy night in his pen, after so much rain, he only had an island of dry land under his tarp.

     The stress at the end here trying to load them I could have done without.  Rick is pretty sure he doesn't want to do it again.  I was more than ready to do it again until this last bit.  Moving the pen became harder the older the pigs got because of all the rooting.  Maybe we just have to let all this pass in our minds and get a taste of ham before we make a decision.  Maybe a smaller pig breed we could process ourselves would be in order.  Maybe buying organic lard is the answer :-)  Anyway, just waiting on the meat and fat.....

    




    










    






.....dr momi

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

well, glad that's finally over. you certainly had your share of hassles at the end...

Rae said...

I can't imagine having to load them. Don't think our 4 would be too keen on loading, nor would we be thrilled to do so (they are about 2 months overdue to go to butcher and HUGE). We're supposed to have the mobile butcher out on Thursday. He'll take the pigs to our butcher after the deed. Would you ever consider trying mobile slaughter?

dr momi said...

Tex....you're tellin' me!

Rae....I have never heard of a mobile butcher around here...makes me wonder if it is legal in Wisconsin. But, I'm sure we could find someone to come and do it. I did not like knowing my pig wasn't going to eat for 2 days, not knowing how they were treated after they left, not knowing if they were in with other pigs and fighting before being butchered. Ya..would not do it this way again.

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine having to loads those huge animals...but I love the little piglets LOL

Blessings,
Connie
www.treasures-evermore.blogspot.com

Michaele said...

I went through the same problem years ago. Can't put a collar on a pig - I found out. And we haven't had one since.

Patty said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! It's so much fun finding another great blog to read. I loved reading your mozzarella post. I'm going to go ahead and try that one of these days. You make it look fairly easy! Cute bacon pics! ;)

laughwithusblog said...

I can't believe it!!! We always had fresh meat growing up. I do miss that. What we didn't raise my dad hunted. Oh for the good ol' days! :)

Candy C. said...

Glad that's over! I'm sure it will all be worth it when you receive the finished product. I was just reading about mobile slaughter vans in the new Mother Earth News, seems like a much better alternative.

Dicky Bird said...

We DO have mobile butchers here in Wisconsin. At least in Marathon Co., a dairy farm family we know, who live by Athens, had someone come out and do that. I think they were from Abbotsford or Medford. At least, now you have some real experiences to build on if you choose to do it next year. I think everyone who raised hogs know what you are talking about. We have taken about 4 years "off" but, I guess my husband wants to get 3 in the Spring...we'll see....Blessings from Ringle, WI

dr momi said...

Dicky Bird....if you hear of anyone that mobile butchers over this way, let me know! ...and you're right, at least we've done it once, & know what to expect if we do it again. I consider it another "skill" learned.

Mama Pea said...

Nothing tastes as good as home-raised pork! That may be the thing that changes your mind on raising pigs again. Or not. ;o]