Friday

Pig Sayings

      All of these "sayings" about pigs make perfect sense to me now that I've owned pigs.


     "Squealing like a pig."  I will never forget the ear splitting squeal those piglets let out when the guy who sold them to me picked them up by the hind legs to put in my crate.  It actually hurt my ears.

     "This place looks like a pig pen."  When the kids were growing up, many a bedroom looked "rooted up".

     "Smacking like a pig!"  Pigs really do smack.  .....but only because it tastes so good!  :-)

     "Eating like a pig."   Pigs like to eat fast before someone else gets it.  And, they eat, and eat, and eat.....

     "Dirty as a pig."  Pigs roll in the mud to keep cool and keep bugs off.  I remember Logan in the muddy sandbox saying to me, "Grandma, I'm just like the pigs.....I like mud."  :-) 

     "Sweating like a pig."  LOL, every time I would say "I'm sweating like a pig" this hot, hot, summer; my husband would remind me that pigs don't sweat!   And then there is.....
    
    "Sleeping like a pig."   My own coined term. (See Sleeping Like A Pig)   .....you know.  Like when kids won't get out of that bed for school, and end up falling back to sleep.  (Yes, my darling kid, you know who you are. :-)

    


       Having pigs for the first time has been a learning experience.  I'd do it again.  Monday is the day the pigs meet their destiny.  Not looking forward to fighting them onto the truck.  I'll let you know how it goes.












No worries.....he's eating overgrown cooked beets :-)

.....dr momi

Linked To: Farm Girl Friday
Linked To: Homestead Barn Hop

21 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

thanks for explaining that last shot! a bit foreboding! :)

Michaele said...

It wasn't until I raised pigs of my own that I knew what an insult calling someone a pig really was. Cute piggy butt photo.

rugosarosefarm said...

That last one was a bit disconcerting until I read the explaination. Tell the kids. If your not good I'll throw you to the killer pigs. muwaahahaha

Roxey Lucey said...

I like the ham photo

Candy C. said...

Awww, they were so cute when they were babies! They'll be even prettier in the freezer! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I have thought of most of those saying this summer. I just made my pig's "appointments" yesterday. They will remain with us until Oct 30th

carpediemacreage.blogspot.com (for some reason I can't comment with my user name)

Leigh said...

Once of these years we plan to get pigs too. I'm glad to read you'd do it again. They're cute when they're young, but not so cute when they get big, I see!

Amy Dingmann said...

I'm glad you said the last picture was beets. I was wondering what happened! Its good to know that those pig sayings all come from somewhere and have some truth...I've always wondered about that sweating like a pig one though. My son always reminds me pigs don't sweat...hmmm!

dr momi said...

I've been enjoying all your comments everyone LOL. .....I thought twice about the beet picture :-) Roxey Lucey is my sister. On my facebook she said she thought the post title was "Pig Slayings" LOL! What a gorey post I have here. ...goes along with those "killer pigs" rugosarosefarm!

Nancy said...

Thank you for explaining the last picture! Have fun herding the pigs. Take pictures!

Teresa said...

Suc adorable little piglets. Too bad they have to grow up and quit being cute.

Mama Pea said...

I think the hardest part of raising pigs is bringing them home and getting them into their pen and then getting them out of their pen when it's time to turn them into pork!

dr momi said...

So far Mama Pea I have to agree. This part in the middle has not been hard at all.

Theresa....one day when they decided to try to eat ME I decided they were not cute anymore :-)

dr momi said...

Nancy....I WILL have my camera in hand!

Sharon said...

We did the circus of getting a pig into the trailer to go to the butcher. Have them eat some food out of a bucket. As the bucket is over their head you push them backwards where you want them to go. Work fast and decisively!

dr momi said...

Thanks Sharon -- I read that on a blog -- probably yours? The bucket over the head WILL be used :-) Thanks for the tip!

Kim said...

Good luck with the great pig roundup. Working with animals is always an adventure. We had pigs when the kids were home and in 4-H, but usually, it's cows and calves that we are trying to get in trailers. Sometimes it's a rodeo!

dr momi said...

Well guess what Kim.....we had a rodeo...and the pigs are still here! Next week now,

Carol J. Alexander said...

Love the sayings, and I have to agree. Looks like you use the same pen we did. A 10x10 chain-link dog kennel. We just moved it around the field every day. The first pig we had, though, would flip the thing and get out. After that, we rung their noses. This is the first year in a while that we haven't had a pig. I'm going to miss the scrapple for sure.

dr momi said...

Hi Carol.....We didn't have any problem with the pigs flipping the pen, not sure why. We only moved the pen every week. All in all, it worked out really good. I have never tried scapple.....perhaps next week?

labbie1 said...

I can live without scrapple! Love ham, bacon and pork chops! :) Good luck getting them in next week!