Tuesday

Man That Ground Is Hard.....

     I took a digger yesterday afternoon on the ice.  (Everything is icy right now) Landed hard on my hip and shoulder.......saved my head though :-)  I'll live, it just reminds me that---aahhhh, well, I'm not getting younger :-)  Falling reminded me of another time I said "man that ground is hard"!

     It was when I had just became the new owner of a 12 mon. old colt.  I had wanted a horse all my life and finally had one.  I knew absolutely nothing about horses.  Cherokee was lying in his outdoor paddock soaking up the sun.  He didn't want to get up for me, he was too comfortable.  So, what did this rookie do?  I came over and straddled his back -- you know, he had to start getting trained soon.  I figured if he started to get up I'd just slide off.  Well, I never saw a horse move so fast.  In one fluid motion he stood up into a high buck.  There was no time to...... slide off!  The ground is hard enough from 4 ft up., but, really hard from 10 ft. up!! 

     Over the years I learned a lot about horses.   We had them for many years until everyone went off to college and the chores were just too much for me.  Lots of good memories though.....

This is Fire, 1/2 Arab -- a different colt that I bred.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that by the apple trees at our house?

dr momi said...

It sure is :-). The horses used to reach over the fence and just help themselves to the apples.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - the older I get the harder the ground seems to get!

My daughter just saw Fire's picture and she said "WOW! Who is that?" Just like her momma, she caught the horse bug early. It never goes away.

dr momi said...

Your daughter knows good horse flesh :-) The person who owns Fire now, has shown him at Scottsdale.......and no,that horse bug never goes away, but I sure love not doing chores :-)