Friday

Flying Dog


No we don't have snow -- old pic :-)
     On the news tonight, I heard about the kid and dog that had to be rescued from the side of a cliff.  A bottle was thrown over the cliff, and the dog tried to retrieve it. Then the kid went to rescue the dog.  A happy ending, both were fine.

     It reminded me of when our golden retriever, Billy, did the same kind of thing.  It was when our house was being built.  Nothing but the shell was up.  Late afternoons after the builders were done for the day, I would take the dogs over and check out how things were coming.

      Billy is a retrieving machine.  I think if you kept throwing the ball, he would keep retrieving it until he died of heat exhaustion or a heart attack.  I was throwing the ball for him out the future doors, and, occasionally out the future windows.  If I threw it out the "window",  he would run out the "door" to go get it.  Until the time he decided to fly.

     I can still feel how my face froze in disbelief as he decided to follow the ball out the window this time.  He didn't casually jump out.  Oh no....he used the sill to jump high into the air as if he was a dock dog.  There was one problem.  The bottom of the sill was 6 1/2 feet off the ground.  When he arched into the air I bet he was almost 12 feet off the ground.   .....and he didn't land in a pool of water!

     I thought for sure he would break a leg or something.  No, ....we just kept on playing fetch.  To this day though, if he over exercises, he has a gimpy leg....his "medal of honor" I suppose.



Retrieving is in his blood,

.....dr momi  

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

yikes! so glad that ended happily! :)

Rae said...

I had a yellow lab that was the same way. Never knew when to stop. Always ready to chase a ball or stick.

Roxey Lucey said...

I sort of remember you talking about that once. The story on news almost made me cry because it can happen so easily. I just thought of it the other day where the county road goes over the creek. There is probably a good 20 foot drop. Good reason to keep the dogs on a leash in that area!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

OMG! I love this story almost as much as I love the fact that we both are December babies (although I'm old enough to be your grandma!!!!)...:)JP

Mama Pea said...

I can just imagine the look of shock/horror on your face as he catapulted out that window! The amount of gray hairs our dogs can give us!! (Almost as bad as our kids.)

Kim said...

OMG I would have had a heart attack. Your dog is like a super-hero :)

pattib said...

Wahooo! Go Billy!

Mary Ann said...

WOW! I'm glad he lived to "tell" about it!

Happy New Year!

Candy C. said...

I saw that story on the news too. I'm glad both dog tales ended well! :)

labbie1 said...

Wow! Glad he's okay with only a gimp...