Thursday

Be A Good Boy Butsch

     Tomorrow Butsch and I take off for Leader Dogs For The Blind in Rochester Michigan (near Detroit).  If he checks out physically, he will begin his formal training in harness.  There is also a chance that he could be pulled for breeding.  None of the dogs are neutered or spayed until they return to the school for just that reason.  Leader Dog has their own breeding program, breeding dogs for many generations, with just the right qualities to be a dog guide.  If he did get pulled for breeding, he would be placed with a family near the school.  He would have a "family pet" job most of the time, and brought to the school only when needed.

     We've been making the rounds to the different stores and restaurants he's been a regular at saying good-bye, and I've been preparing myself for letting him go.  He's a super smart dog that thrives on learning new stuff.  The formal training should be right up his alley.  Do your mama proud Butsch!



Butsch 4 months old.






.....and at 8 months old.
He looks pretty much the same now, maybe a little wider in the chest.
I tried to get a new picture....it's like trying to photograph a 3 year old :-)

.....jean


21 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, sweet and handsome boy! you have so much to learn, but hopefully will do so much good!!!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

It is so good that we have people like you in this world. I admit, I could not do it. Good luck Butsch.

Dicky Bird said...

Good luck Butch! Blessings from Ringle

pattib said...

Beautiful! We've got our paws crossed!

Roxey Lucey said...

I think he's gonna make it!

dr momi said...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

juliehallfeldhaus said...

Oh my he is a handsome boy!! We so miss our German Shepherd it's been 6 years since we lost him to a stroke. He was there to greet us every morning for 13 years. He watched the gates for Greg when he fed calves, was good with kids, but he was so big he scared strangers! Until they met him and then he was a puppy dog!! His name was Bo he was the last dog we had I miss him so. Julie

Mama Pea said...

It's a good thing dogs are so very adaptable. To be in the program that Butsch is he has to go through a lot of changes. I know you've done this before so you know how to handle it, but letting the dogs you've brought up go must be hard no matter what. I echo Jane's sentiments: Thank heavens there are people like you who can do this type of thing. Blessings to you and to that beautiful dog Butsch!

dr momi said...

JMF...welcome to my blog! Butsch is just a great big "puppy dog" too, but, when I take him for a walk the sidewalk clears ahead of us. I think some people think he is a cop dog. (sniffing for drugs) Bo sounds like he was a great dog!

Mama Pea....dogs are adaptable. I always say they love whoever feeds them. (especially the labs) I still have to gear up my brain for letting the puppies go, but I know how they can change a life. Thank-you for your kind words. ...Jean

EG CameraGirl said...

It must be super hard to let such a great dog go. I admire you!

Melodie said...

He is beautiful! Good luck Butsch!

dr momi said...

EG Wow....this is the 8th puppy I've raised for Leader Dog. Letting the dogs go doesn't get any easier, but seeing them work with a blind person truely makes it worth the heartache. (thank-you so much for stopping by!)


Melodie....Thanks!

Rae said...

Such a sweet handsome boy. It would be so hard letting him go. Knowing it's with a purpose has to help, but it still must be heartbreaking. I'm not sure I would have the ability to do it. Thank goodness there are people like you who are willing to give up a piece of their heart to help someone else.

Susan said...

He's a beautiful dog! Don't you just love that floppy ear thing they have when they're young. I admire the fact that you can let him go. I would have a hellofa time - even for something so important.

Lori Skoog said...

Looks like a sweet boy!

Candy C. said...

Good luck Butsch, we all know you will do a great job!!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

He is beautiful...well handsome and needed

laughwithusblog said...

Oh what a neat job you have, but I can imagine how hard it must be to let him go...

Leslie said...

What a beautiful boy! Godspeed, Butsch...and bless your heart, Dr. Momi. Hard to say goodbye...

Leigh said...

Aw, he looks so sweet. Isn't it great to know how much you've contributed to his life? He's got great things in store.

Chatty Crone said...

That has to be so hard and yet so fulfilling. sandie